Townhall Cavan has been the central hub for art in Cavan Town over the past number of years. The space has accommodated exhibitions, workshops, theatre, visual arts, music and dance. It has had numerous successful events such as The Festival of The Dead, A Christmas Carol, Pilgrim, Close to the Sun, The Man in the Womans Shoes and many more.
These events have been facilitated by a dedicated team of artists, who work on a voluntary basis, with the support of Cavan County Council, Cavan Arts office and the Arts Council of Ireland, to bring their artistic vision and passion to life.
Townhall Cavan is currently closed for refurbishment and due to open in August 2019.
Built in 1909, an important municipal building in Arts and Crafts style by the Dublin and Drogheda architect William Alphonsus Scott (1871-1921), built by contractor William O'Callaghan & Son. It reflects mainstream international movements in architecture in the early twentieth century, using local Latt sandstone from Co Cavan to great effect, enhancing the streetscape, and creating a striking landmark in the town centre.
The building combines two separate functions, the town hall and the assembly hall that is expressed in two distinct volumes. The town hall is of Norman inspiration seen in the vertical thrust and strength of its corner piers. Arts and Crafts features such as the multiple-pane window design and the entrance with characteristic stylised lettering are echoed in the assembly hall with its steeply pitched roof, dormers and massive piers.
The interior displays an eclectic mix of vernacular and medieval-inspired joinery. The building is an important historical document adding to the understanding of local government in Ireland in the period following the reforms and democratisation introduced under the Local Government (Ireland) Act of 1898.
The plaque inscription reads 'Town Hall erected by Cavan Urban District Council W.A. Scott ARIBA Architect W. Callaghan and Sons, Bldrs L.C.P Smith, Chairman Thomas McGuinness, Clerk 1909'